38 Sample Cases of Human Rights Abuses by Scientology

excerpted from sources

Current Scientology Release Form

If circumstances should ever arise in which government, medical or psychiatric officials or personnel or family members or friends attempt to compel or coerce or commit me for psychiatric evaluation, treatment or hospitalization, I fully desire and expect that the Church or Scientologists will intercede on my behalf to oppose such efforts and/or extricate me from that predicament...

I understand that the Introspection Rundown ... includes being isolated from ... family members, friends or others with whom I might normally interact.... The Case Supervisor will determine the time period in which I will remain isolated, according to the beliefs and practices of the Scientology religion. I further specifically acknowledge that the duration of any such isolation is uncertain, determined only by my spiritual condition, but that such duration will be completely at the discretion of the Case Supervisor.

I accept and assume all known and unknown risks of injury, loss, or damage resulting from my decision to participate in the Introspection Rundown and specifically absolve all persons and entities from all liabilities of any kind, without limitation, associated with my participation or their participation in my Introspection Rundown.

Now compare this with Scientology's Citizens Commission on Human Rights' "Mental Health Declaration of Human Rights" found at http://www.cchr.org/topics/governments/declaration/page01.htm where Part B. is "No person, man, woman or child, may be denied his or her personal liberty by reason of mental illness, so-called, without a fair jury trial by laymen and with proper legal representation." What can this be called, hypocrisy, having your cake and eating it too, idiocy?


Vicki Aznaran

Vicki J. Aznaran and Richard N. Aznaran, Plaintiffs, vs. Church of Scientology of California, etc., defendants. Case no. C/88-187-WDK (EX) [note; this is the best I can read of the handwritten case number], US District Court, Central District of California, Santa Ana Office, filed April 1, 1988.

Below is a quote from this case, which was dropped or settled before going to trial:

20. In or about February of 1987, a schism arose between Defendant MISCAVIGE and the Broekers, each of whom claimed to possess the "upper level Holy Scriptures" written by Hubbard, which scriptures Hubbard had intended to bequeath to the Church. VICKI became increasingly demanding of Defendant MISCAVIGE to be put in contact with RICHARD, and Defendant MISCAVIGE regarded her demands as an expression of allegiance to MISCAVIGE's new religious rival, the Broekers. MISCAVIGE therefore ordered VICKI to the Rehabilitation Project Force at "Happy Valley," a secret location bordering the Sobova Indian Reservation near Gilman Hot Springs, California, overseen and controlled by Defendant NORMAN STARKEY.

21. Plaintiff VICKI understood that the consequences of the lack of cooperation was a threat of "fair game," and that Defendants, and each of them, would make efforts to sever her relationship entirely with her husband, as Defendants had done to others. VICKI was further advised that if she went to the Rehabilitation Project Force camp in Happy Valley cooperatively, she would be able to see RICHARD within a few days. This representation was false when made. In fact, Defendants concealed the true intent which was to keep VICKI totally seperated from her husband and deny her access to him.

22. Once having arrived at Happy Valley, VICKI was assigned a guard and was not allowed to go anywhere or do anything without her guard being present. At night, she was imprisoned by having heavy furniture moved to secure the exit, keeping her from in any way escaping. Further, Defendants kept, and continue to keep all of her physical belongings including a horse and two dogs.

23. VICKI was in fear of being physically prevented from leaving, or subject to "fair game" if she escaped. Plaintiff had seen in the past other victims of Happy Valley be beaten upon attempted escape, and their personal belongings destroyed. During this period of unlawful detention, VICKI was unable to communicate with RICHARD as their correspondence was intercepted and denied. During this period of false imprisonment, VICKI and others were made to wear rags taken out of garbage cans, sleep on the ground, dig ditches, subjected to many hours of indoctrination using the techniques hereinabove, all designed to coercively force VICKI to submit to the control of Defendants. During the time of her incarceration in Happy Valley, Defendants DAVID MISCAVIGE and NORMAN STARKEY were directing and enforcing the coercive and abusive indoctrination devices at Happy Valley.

24. On or about April 9, 1987 VICKI and two other victims escaped from Happy Valley onto the Sobova Indian Reservation where they were pursued on motorcycles by guards of Happy Valley. VICKI and the other victims were rescued by residents of the reservation who picked them up in a pick-up truck and spirited them to a motel in the City of Hemet.



CD - 13

19 August 1994

[excerpted from the Steve Fishman case]

55. I also have personal knowledge about the guarding of other people being involuntarily detained by Gold Security, a division of CSI, at the heavily fortified and armed Gilman Hot Springs base (Gold) and at Happy Valley which is another Scientology base 11 miles away.



56. In addition, I have personal knowledge in connection with the retrieval and return of persons who have tried to flee and leave the Scientology organization. This includes the involuntary detention of Annie Broeker. I learned that Annie blew her post when Gold Security approached me to ask if I had seen her. The security personnel asked me if I had seen Annie. They informed me that she was not at her work assignment and not at her berthing. Several days later, I asked what had happened with Annie. Russ Andress told me not to ask about Annie. Later, I saw Annie at Happy Valley. Persons who are believed to present an embarrassment to Scientology are detained at Happy Valley. The inference that Annie was being detained was underscored by the fact that she was not on post and was not wearing her uniform. Furthermore, when I saw here she was accompanied by the Director of Inspection and Reports and the Master at Arms, who, at that time, was my son, Casavius Tabayoyon. From my personal experience, persons being kept under circumstances similar to those described above are being watched and will be detained, if they try to leave. At a briefing, Miscavige said that Marty Rathbun and another person from his staff had to hire a plane to retrieve a staff member who had fled (Annie Broeker). This briefing was in relation to how bad we (Golden Era Crew) were doing our jobs. It is significant, in my opinion that the recently filed declaration of Marty Rathbun indicated that he has been out of the U.S. jurisdiction since late last year.

72. In 1987, I observed Miscavige order Vicki Aznaran incarcerated at a place called Happy Valley. Happy Valley is a ranch 11 miles away from the Gold base near Hemet. It was then one of the Rehabilitation Project Force ("RPF") Scientology correction and detention facilities. Vicki had been the senior executive in RTC. Miscavige won a power struggle and took her off that post. He ordered her into the RPF which was part of Gold, a unit in CSI.

73. I was at the Happy Valley complex when Vicki was driven up. She arrived in one car. Miscavige arrived in another car right behind her. After Vicki and Miscavige had left the respective cars in which they arrived, I heard Miscavige scream at Vicki, "You're going to do the f --- ing RPF." I did not see or hear Vicki make any response. I saw her go into the berthing facility.

74. A short time later, I spoke to Miscavige during his inspection of the stairs and patio of a building which was under construction at the base. He was wearing a new captain's uniform, a rank to which he appointed himself. I complimented Miscavige on his new uniform. Miscavige told me that Vicki, Jessie Prince and Spike Bush had been consigned to RPF. He said, "I'm almost positive they won't make it through the RPF. They're criminals."


L. Ron Hubbard locks up Children

"[John] McMaster remembers once being asked by the Master at Arms to come and help her, He pulled up the wedge from the chain-locker, a dank and unhealthy part of the ship into which offenders were flung without food as a punishment. Out crawled a little girl who turned out to be a deaf-mute who had been unable to write her name and had incurred the Commodore's wrath." [see http://members.ams.chello.nl/mgormez/childabuse/lock-ups.html]



In March 1983, I became the Deputy Inspector General, External, and a member of the Board of Directors for RTC, as Treasurer. (The only other board members were Warren McShane as Secretary and Vicki Aznaran as President, during this time.) At the time I was appointed a member of the Board of Directors of RTC I was forced to sign an undated letter of resignation. This is standard practice with all Scientology board members and is another means by which the Scientology corporations are controlled while giving the appearance of corporate integrity. In that capacity for the next few years, I traveled about the US and outside of the US on behalf of RTC. I traveled to Germany, Italy, Australia, the United Kingdom, Denmark, Mexico and Canada, with several trips to some of these countries. These trips were to put together an infrastructure that would then interface with RTC for the purpose of trademarks. I became familiar with the law with regard to each area, interviewed and approved law firms, and put the personnel in place that would report to RTC and be our on-the-ground representatives in dealing with the attorneys etc.

When Hubbard died in 1986, there was a power struggle in Scientology for the next 18 or so months that resulted in Hubbard's closest and most powerful aide (Pat Broeker) being removed. The power was taken over by David Miscavige who purged the organization of anyone who was friendly with Broeker. In mid-1987, I was removed from my position and put under armed guard at Happy Valley, a property the organization owns that is a few miles west of Gold and located deep in the Soboba Indian Reservation. I assume the undated resignation I provided on being appointed to the Board was then dated and used to make it appear that I had resigned, when I had not. After a few months, it was decided that I would not escape and I was given various jobs at Gold but kept under watch. My pay was standard Sea Org pay, $24 per week.

I should clarify why I (and others) tolerated such treatment for so long. The ability to tolerate such abusive conditions and treatment are one of the most basic requirements for promotion in the Sea Organization and RTC. We were selected and promoted because we vowed such loyalty and demonstrated it daily. Not unlike a military unit, it is the ability of the Sea Org member to take orders, carry out the assignment and to tolerate self-degrading conditions that ingratiates them to their seniors and to the system. That was why I was promoted so highly and why I then tolerated more. Looking back on it, I cannot believe that I actually tolerated such denigration and such abuse and actually deluded myself that it was for my good as well as the good of others.


Lisa McPherson

Sample log Scientologists kept of Lisa's stay in the church's Ft. Harrison Hotel in Clearwater. Lisa died after this treatment on December 5 1995.

FSO 152 [?]

Sat 2 Dec [note: 1995]

Dear Sir,

1AM - 3AM I gave her 4 Valarian root capsules, 4 Orinthane (not positive of the name -- haven't seen the bottle, but it is one of the herbal sleeping preparations) and approx 6 oz cal mag.

She has gotten drowsy from time to time but at 3 AM is still awake and talking.

We also cut her fingernails. This will reduce the risk of scratches to herself & us. She has scratches and abrasions all over her body & on elbows & knees has pressure sores. None of them are open & none of them look infected.

8 AM She slept for 2 hours -- 1 hr at a time, talking & basicly immobile while awake.

I will give her more of the herbal sleep preparations & will be in comm with Janice later about other measures to ensure she gets some serious sleep today.

The finances for her protein drinks ran out last night. I was in comm a security guard who said the source of the money was Lisa's employer & he thought he could get more this morning. [note: Lisa had given over $100,000 to the church]

I suggested we buy Vita Soy from the canteen & protein powder & yogurt & I make the shakes. This would make it go farther this time. I have a refrigerator in the housekeeping room next to Lisa's room.

10 AM I haven't given her the herbs as she has been sleeping, sometimes soundly but fitfully also. Next time she wakes up enough to start talking I'll give them to her.

12:00 Just finished giving her 2 Valarian root caps, 3 Orinthane tablets & abt 2 oz cal mag.

[page break]

FSO 00153 [?]

2 PM Appears to be awakening. She has tried to stand several times but is not strong enough yet. I am going to feed her some mashed bananna & protein powder. Have been in comm /c Security re getting more money for her.

3 PM She just finished the bananna, protein powder & 4 containers of half & half.

She is resting now. She originated that she knows we are trying to help her although she doesn't know our names and we don't talk to her. The rest of her comm is the usual confused stuff.

She also had a couple ozs of water.

Body wise she is very restful & gentle. She has tried to stand a couple of times but is not strong enough.

[time illegible] Has been laying on the bed sleeping & resting.

[time illegible] Fixing more bananna & protein powder & half & half.

[page break]

FSO 00154 [?]

7 - 8 PM Fed her another bananna w/protein powder & half & half. Also got a protein shake & gave her about 2 oz & 1 oz cal mag & OJ

1:00 She has been resting & dozing -- talking from time to time.

She feels the pain of the bruises on her body and comments on it when she is moved or bumps herself.

Also, was very lucid when being fed & commented on the milkshake & that it was bananna flavor.

1:00 - 1:30 Tried to feed her again but wouldn't take anything. She thought we were psyches or other enemies who wanted to kill her.

Also tried more valarian root. She just got whatever would be absorbed under the tongue.

M She slept most of the time -- several hours of really good deep sleep.

When she awakened this AM she was very confused & combative & continues

At 5 AM she got 2 more chloralhydrates & has slept very well since then.

11:30 She is almost fully awake. We are going to feed her the rest of her protein shake & follow it up w/more valarian root, orinthane & cal mag.

She has had 6 oz cup of water through the night the items above.

4:30 Had another 4 ozs of OJ and cal mag. She had about 2 1/2 hours of sound sleep -- interspersed with restlessness.

[page break]

FSO 00155

At one point it seemed she wanted a sweater on. I put it on her & she thanked me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tonja Burden

Tonja Burden vs. Church of Scientology of California, etc. Case no. 80-601-Civ. TK [note, I'm not sure of the 6], US District Court Middle District of Florida, Tampa Division This case is one of the "Flynn Lawsuits" that were settled en masse out of court.

37. Plaintiff escaped from the RPF prison and Scientology in Clearwater, Florida, in November, 1977, with the assistance of her father and relatives.

38. Two weeks after plaintiff returned to Las Vegas, Nevada, two of Hubbard's employees came to her house, coaxed her into going with them for a "cup of coffee" in order to discuss Hubbard and Scientology. Hubbard's employees seated plaintiff in the middle of the front seat of their car and sat on either side of plaintiff and then drove her to Los Angeles against her will and despite her pleas not to take her away.

39. Hubbard's employees locked plaintiff in a room and forced her to undergo a "security check" on the E-Meter. Frightened and crying, plaintiff complied. Plaintiff was forced to sign a "Nondisclosure and Release Bond", a copy of which she did not read.

Plaintiff was told that she could not leave the room until she signed the documents. Hubbard's employees only released plaintiff after she signed the documents. Hubbard's employees only released plaintiff after she signed the documents and convinced them that she would return after a Christmas family reunion.

40. When plaintiff refused to return, defendant's employees thereafter continuously harassed and intimidated her.



CD - 23

14 October 1994

Copyright (C) 1994 David Mayo

Redistribution rights granted for non commercial purposes.

I, David Mayo, declare as follows

14. On August 29, 1982, David Miscavage, and others, acting on the orders of L. Ron Hubbard, kidnapped me and subsequently kept me captive and physically and mentally abused me for six months During this period, David Miscavage, an officer and director of RTC, told me in the presence of Vicki Aznaran, President of RTC, Mark Yaeger, Commanding Officer, CMO INT of CSI that if I ever escaped, he would personally see to it that the resources of the Church of Scientology would destroy my character and reputation internationally. During that six-month period of captivity, I was forced to run around a tree in the desert in temperatures of up to 110 degrees for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 3 months I was under tremendous coercion and duress I was refused medical and dental treatment (after escaping captivity I lost six teeth and required thousands of dollars of dental work to save the rest of my teeth) I was not permitted to make or receive phone calls and all letters I wrote were read by Scientology security guards I was often awakened during the night and interrogated (mainly by Jesse Prince) In early February 1983, I was told by Rick Aznaran, Director of Security, RTC, (husband of Vicki Aznaran, President of RTC), to get the idea of leaving out of my head because I would never leave the property alive.


Roxanne Friend

[Roxanne Friend sued the Church of Scientology (case number BC 018003 in Superior Court of the state of California for the county of LosAngeles). The Church settled out of court "for nuisance value." Roxanne not much later died of cancer, which may have been cured had she gotten medical attention sooner. Roxanne did not because she felt that Scientology auditing could cure any ill.]


19. After I left Flag without permission in December 1989, I believe the organization then felt it necessary to force me into their procedures with greater force than before. This started with sending several staff members from Florida who came to my apartment in Los Angeles to try to persuade me to have auditing.

20. The staff members of the Florida Scientology organization subsequently drugged me (deposition pages 532-535) with the approval of Flag and senior officials of the "Church" of Scientology. Then they woke me up in the middle of the night (deposition page 511), took me in a recreational vehicle against my will (deposition pages 529 and 540) and subsequently held me in the rv and then in a room in Florida (deposition page 510) for a period totalling about four weeks, all against my will. I made at least two attempts to escape but I was bodily forced by the guards to return.

21. None of the above events happened with my consent. And I was kept imprisoned in Florida even after numerous written requests on my part to the staff of defendant FLAG, specifically my case Supervisor Richard Reese, stating I was being held against my will, that I wanted to leave and that I believed that what they were doing was illegal. See Exhibits 33 and 34 to Deposition of Roxanne Friend.

22. In addition to the trauma of the kidnapping and to imprisonment, the Scientologists took away my privacy. In December 1989 and January 1990, I was spied upon constantly, 24 hours a day. My phone calls were monitored (when I had a phone in December); my comings and goings were reported on; and, of course, in January when I was completely imprisoned, every aspect of my life was under constant surveillance.

23. Prior to the kidnapping, I went to work, kept up with all the other regular facets of life, paid bills, and kept regular and excellent care of my horse. I had a social life, albeit one that was stifled by Scientology control. I went out regularly on Friday nights to dinner and a movie.

24. After I was released, I was unable to function at all. I could not work, I could not take care of personal business matters. I couldn't think properly or have any social intercourse what-so-ever. I was so unbalanced by the experience that I was arrested for an assault and ended up under observation at U.S.C. Medical Center.

25. It is difficult to talk about and describe the feeling of being held by the Scientologists down in Florida. I felt like a hostage or a prisoner. I felt that nothing I could do could make a difference and that I better be quiet so as to protect my self. Today I am trying to pick up and arrange the fragments of my life and go forward.

Sworn to under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state of California this 6th day of Decemeber 1991.


Dodi Geary



excerpts from Akron Beacon Journal January 21, 1990

by Richard Weizel, Beacon Journal business writer

(c) 1995 Akron Beacon Journal. All rts. reserv.

In early September Mrs. Geary came back to Medina for a brief time, but describes feeling 'weird' and out of place. She was by this time having hallucinations, according to family doctor W. Denny Robertson, and appeared to her friends and family to be unstable.

A week later, Mrs. Geary said, she returned to San Francisco for further auditing procedures that she hoped would clear her confusion.

Mrs. Geary says she was met at the airport by Scientologists who 'drove me around in a car for hours and hours,' and then held her captive for more than two weeks in a cabin near Mount Shasta to correct behavior that could harm the organization 'All we tried to do is help Mrs. Geary with counseling procedures,' said Murphy. He declined to allow the Beacon Journal to speak with any of the three Scientologists Mrs. Geary has named as her captors.

Murphy said that Mrs. Geary had a pre-existing mental condition that the group was trying to correct and that the couple had agreed that she have the treatment. He also alleged that Mrs. Geary's family has a history of schizophrenia.

The Gearys, their psychiatrist, Dr. Myung Kwak, and their family physician, Dr. Robertson, deny that allegation. 'There was never anything wrong with her until she got involved with the Scientologists,' said Robertson.

Kwak agreed. 'I don't believe Mrs. Geary had any previous history of mental illness,' she said.

The Gearys say the result of her captivity was devastating. Mrs. Geary said she was a victim of sleep and food deprivation and was pushed against walls and onto a bed when she protested and demanded to be set free.

'I tried to escape from the cabin several times, but they wouldn't let me leave,' she said. 'They just kept saying they wanted us to give them more money and that I needed to be alone.'

Geary said that though he did not know his wife's whereabouts during this time, he did know that she was seeking Scientology counseling. That is why, he said, the couple has been advised not to pursue criminal charges. But when he pressed for details about his wife's treatment, 'They refused to tell me where she was,' he said. 'And that's when I started getting scared.'

At that point Geary's lawyer, Stephen Brown, met with Scientologists and said he alerted the FBI in Ohio and in California.

'We had a meeting with several of their representatives who were in the Medina area and we told them that we wanted to know where she was and wanted to talk to her,' said Brown. 'Within 24 hours Dr. Geary was notified that she was at an address in California and within a day she was back. But it was an intense few days.'


Alan Walter

John Mc Master, "the world's first clear," wrote about Alan Walter when he quit Scientology. "What McMaster treats with such delicate circumspection is the wild rumor extant in Scientology circles that Walter had been called to a meetintg with Hubbard when one of the ships was anchored off Cadiz. He had flown over, had been piped aboard with pomp and ceremony, and had then been seized, shackled, and thrown below decks where, the tale continues, he lingers even yet." [Scientology: the Now Religion, by George Malko, 1970, page 202]. Walter was reportedly held for 3 months.




[address removed] [edited down]

August 8, 1989


I was in Scientology for 19 years from March 1965 to August 1984.


Then in 1978, I was assigned to the Rehabilitation Project Force at the Fort Harrison, the Sea Organization's slave labor camp. I was assigned to it because I had evil thoughts about Hubbard and the Sea Organization. I was utterly shocked and devastated. I was escorted to the RPF location between two heavy men, both well over 6' tall. I was locked up for about 24 hours in a room with no windows. I was under continual guard during that time and slept on a mattress on the floor without sheets or blanket. I was shocked and awake the entire night sometimes weeping and other times completely numb, devoid of all feeling or thought. I had a crazed urge to escape but knew I could not, that I had to finally confront myself and discover how evil and truly bad I was. I felt I was split into several people - one of them a kind, loving person who was in deep shock, the other a cold, calculating, evilminded person who was intent on harming others for the fun of it, and yet another person who was terribly confused and did not know which of the other two was correctly me. I felt my mind was being ripped apart, that I could not think or feel anything. I forced myself blindly through the routine of having to run continually (RPF members were not allowed to walk at any time), of having to talk to non-RPF staff only when spoken to, of having to address everyone as "Sir", of having to do menial work of cleaning toilets, of having to wear old, torn and tattered blue overalls, of having to be seen running in the Florida heat, perspiring and without makeup or hairdo, doing menial and embarrassing work in front of all the public - in pain all the time.

{ }

Certain infractions caused the person responsible to be assigned to the RPF's RPF, a place in the lower boiler room under the Fort Harrison Hotel, among the boilers and hot water pipes which rumbled and hissed twenty-four tlours a day. The place was only dimly lit. It consisted of interconnecting- spaces through which one had to crawl on hands and knees at times past or underneath huge pipes and massive 10 foot high boilers. It was a dark, forbidding, somewhat scary place. One of my buddies was assigned to the RPF's RPF for two months for refusing to divulge confidential information for which she had been bonded in the Guardian's Office. She was kept in that space excommunicado for the entire time, with limited bathing and toilet privileges, all the time being threatened and verbally harassed by RPF superiors. She finally emerged a broken, silent, sullen person who soon after managed to escape from the RPF and the Fort Harrison Hotel. Her name was Lynn Froyland.

I have never seen her since she left.

The RPF had been established for the stated purpose of "rehabilitation and redemption". It was made to appear as a constructive and positive activity, devised to help the individual at a time when he was unable to help himself. However, it was Hubbard's belief and practice that force, duress and punishment were necessary and vital to cut through human emotion and reaction so as to rescue the soul or thetan. I believed Hubbard. But I was experiencing such humiliation, such degradation and worthlessness in the RPF that Hubbard's theories began to make less sense to me. I entered into a profound confusion and a deep emotional and mental instability which continued onward almost continually up to the time I left.

To compound the situation, Hubbard states categorically that criticism is a sign that one has committed a harmful or destructive action on the person or area one is critical of. This belief has high credence in Scientology and is rigidly adhered to. It is common for staff and public to receive extensive confessional auditing and security checking if they are found to have the slightest criticism of Hubbard. I now know that this practice is a very effective thoughtstopping technique and that it is solely aimed at reforming the individual's thought patterns and his conduct and was never intended for his enlightenment. I had no knowledge of this at the time I was in the RPF, and had I been told it at the time, I would have vehemently denied it as would all Scientologists.

Throughout my period in the RPF, I felt more and more degraded and worthless the more I tried to reconcile the slavery of the RPF and its blatantly anti-social activities to Scientology being the only road to total freedom. I laboured hard during many auditing sessions to find the harmful actions I had committed to cause me to become so full of pain and negative emotion.

Toward the end of 1978, I finally escaped. I left the RPF without approval and flew to New York to friends. But within a week the senior Ethics person at Flag, Tom Provenzano, located me and by phone threatened me with a Suppressive Person declare and with being sued, followed and never being left in peace again for the rest of my life if I did not immediately return to Clearwater. I broke down completely. I flew back to Clearwater and to the RPF, but only after Provenzano had promised me I could speak with him about my assignment to the RPF when I returned. Of course, no such thing occurred. I had no idea that his "promise" was made solely to get me back to Clearwater. Once back in the RPF I succumbed. I returned to working and running and sweating and pain.

After a year, I finally graduated. I was a subdued quiet, obedient robot, a far more subservient and compliant one than at any time previously. The headaches were a continuing part of my day to day life. By that time the fear I was evil had omewhat subsided but not left. "Graduation" acted as a momentary panacea. I curried fayour with my superiors constantly as a way to survive.



Michael Pattinson


I strongly feel that it is my civic duty to bring to the attention of the competent authorities of the United States and other concerned countries a matter of severe abuses and destructive activities by the "Church" of Scientology. I am at their disposition for more information on all of this.


2) In June of 1996 I was held against my will in the Scientology Clearwater, Florida facility and "ordered" to pay $7,400 before they would let me out of the room. I did not want to pay for what the two staff members insisted I must have, and what ensued was a verbal battle, emotional trauma and an attempt at financial extortion. After a time I managed to escape the physical detention, but two "Sea Org" members chased me right out into the streets of Clearwater to try to recapture me. I did not pay the money. This incident is on file with the Clearwater Police Department.

3) In June of 1991 I was forced to pay, despite vehement protestations, the sum of $7,400 to Scientology on the "Freewinds" ship. The ruse used on that Wednesday was that if I did not pay then they would withhold my passport from me until I did pay. They did so and I had to pay the money to get it back.

20 September 1997 Sea Beach California


signed - Michael P Pattinson


State of California

County of Orange

On 9/20/97 before me, Dy Avalos, Notary Public


Birgitta Dagnell

Part 1

By Birgitta Dagnell, Sweden

In 1982 many rumours and turbulence was going on. We had to learn that the mission holders and the whole present management was suppressive and most people in the Guardians Offices over the world. In January 1983 the Guardian of Malmoe received an order from RTC to send all reserves money to Luxemburg, which was complied with. Shortly after that I found myself upgraded to AG Malmoe as the former AG and the other GO staff was ripped off. The AG hadn't sent enought money. So we were two people left in the GO; me and AG SOCO.

In February I was called to come over to FOLO in Denmark for a briefing. I went over and met with the person in charge Allan Hubbert from Special Unit in Los Angeles. He smiled and told me nicely that I had to do a little " spring-cleaning-programme"called DPF (Deck Project Force). Had never heard about it, but he showed me an Flag order written by LRH. I was told that all remaining staff from the GO's in Europe should show up on the DPF. The reason was that we were the cause why the churches didn't expand and that we were enemies of the Church. The GO's should close down and be replaced by "Department of Special Affairs". Only very clean, especially choosen, non-guardian people should be appointed to this Department. We, the enemies and traitors should be put onto the DPF as an rehabilitation.

I found that I had to start on the DPF right away. There was no time to go back home to change clothes or bring more clothes or even to make a phonecall to my husband and children. In order to make phonecalls one had to write a dispatch, asking for permission and telling the purpose of the call and so on.

It took me around one month to get permission for my first call home. So there I was in my black long trousers, black jumper and my mink coat. I learned to use my mink coat as my pillow as well. Those cloths I had to wear for more than one month. I was one of the first on place, of the 82 of us who soon should be collected from all over Europe.

The "rehabilitation" consisted of lots of work, mainly cleaning and started at 8 AM with roll-call. We had to say "Ay Sir" when called upon or spoken to. We were not permitted to talk to people outside the DPF and later on not to DPF-members from other countries. In that way be became isolated. The first night we were only 2 people in a normal 2-beds room. Next night and the following, we were 18 people in it. We happen to get breakfast sometimes, but that was not normal. I remember one morning when the 82 of us got 16 slices of bread to share and one man took 6 of them. It was near a civil war got started. The meals was eaten in a cellar where we shared the space with lots of pidgeons. It was very dirty, filled with birdshit. At one occasion I had to fight with the pidgeons to get my meal. The food was never enough for all of us and consisted of rice and beans. No plates, no cutleries and no pots. Once we got soup, and I was lucky to possess a small plastic mug so I could drink it. We used to feel like " the poor man with no spoon when the sky is raining semolina".

he work consisted of mainly cleaning toilets, corridors and hotel rooms or some painting and construction work. Supplies for cleaning was very poor, like brushes with almost no brush left. Only cold water and no washing detergent. I was mainly doing cleaning at Hotel Nordland and the small hotel opposite to Nordland. At one occasion I should clean bathrooms and a long hallway in the other hotel. I had high fever and the floor in the hallway was very dirty. I had to do the cleaning with a toothbrush, crawling on my knees as I wasn't able to stand up. Next day I couldn't get out of my bed, I was too sick in pneumonia. Guards came and tried to get me up, but I couldn't. The day after I had to get back to work again. The working hours was to 11 PM but we were often waked up in the night for doing more work. Sometimes we worked til 5 in the morning with only two breaks of 30 minutes each, during all those hours. We were never allowed to walk or sit down always running.

Some work was pure evil;

One of us was assigned to paint the reception area at FOLO and 3 others of us did the preparatory work. She thought it was quite a nice job and it looked nice and clean when she had finished painting. But after 5 days the colour hadn't get dry and we found out that the paint was mixed without drying substance in it. She had to scrape the whole reception from this wet paint and then she received an SP declare and left.

Some others had to wash scrap papers. It was 5 of us, standing on the yard at FOLO, taking scrap papers from sacks, put it into ice cold water, keep it under the water til it was soaking wet and then press out all water and make small balls of it. Then return it to the sack again. The hands ached as it was below freezing outside. The purpose of this washing was to be able to put more paper into the sacks as the air was pressed out.

After a couple of weeks, we got to know that we should start doing ethics in the evenings. We were pleased as that gave us a possibility to sit down on chairs. It was not the kind of ethics we were used to anyhow; first one had to write up all bad actions done (overts) in this lifetime and past lives. Then one was put before an auditor with an E-meter. On each side of the auditor a missionaire was standing (Mike Sutter and Isa-Bella Ferrer) The auditor, his name was Des, read up the overt, checked it on the Meter and the missionaires started to yell at you. This is called gang-bang sec checking. "This is not what you have done, you have HUGE overts, you are the most evil one on earth, we want your real overts.... "; This screaming could go on for an hour or more til we "recognize:" that we really was that bad and evil. Many couldn't stand it. One night an italian man started to cry and admitted to be that evil and became very thankful to the missionaires who had revealed the truth about him. He went down on the floor. Crawled on his knees to missionaire Mike Sutter and kissed his shoes. Mike looked at him scornfully and said "you are declared, get out of here". The italian man had no money and didn't really know how to get back to his country. Later I heard that he had found a cargo ship in the harbor who gave him a free ride to Italy.

So I was back on the Deck again. One night all of us were yelled at by the missionaries. After the yelling one of them asked if we had any questions. I had a question and stretched my hand. As they thought it to be very impudent of me having a question, they should make an example and ordered me to come forward. I was put onto an chair and faced the other 80 people. They told the others to look at me as the real suppressive personality. The three missionares yelled at me and derided me for two hours in front of the others. Finally my comrades was told to go and I was alone with them. I was sitting on the chair for three hours with them yelling at me, telling me that I had never done anything good in my life. Mike Sutter worked up such an anger that he spit into my face, threw chairs around and threw a table so it hit my stomach. Mike told me I should be expelled from scientology for ever. There was nothing in life I was so afraid of as to listen to those words. I remember I was thinking ";expelled, but I'm still alive". After those three hours, I started to cry and told them that I always had been trying to do alright and that I had been following LRH policies all the time on staff.


Dennis Erlich

WMNF Tampa Florida - Radio Activity - 7 March 1996

RL - Rob Lorei (host)

DE - Dennis Erlich (by telephone)

DE: No, quite the contrary. I was led away from God, I was led in a direction toward less and less self-determinism, where they were dictating how I thought completely, and how I acted completely, and when I got out, I felt this surge of freedom, that I was now protected by the Constitution; I had rights, I had -- you know, they couldn't lock me up again.

RL: You were locked up by the church?

DE: Yeah, in the sub-basement of the Fort Harrison Hotel. I was placed in a cage, under guard, for about ten days. I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone; I wasn't allowed to phone anyone; I was a prisoner there. RL: Why were you locked up?

DE: I made a joke.

RL: About?

DE: I "made a joke about the RPF -- the Rehabilitation Project Force -- which is their -- their "re-education" work camp program, where it's sort of like -- like in Russia, where they used to send people to work camps, to re-educate them, and they have this thing called the Rehabilitation Project Force, where you get up -- you're segregated.

When I was in it, we slept in the garage, in the parking structure of the Fort Harrison Hotel, on the third floor. And, you know, we to breathe the exhaust fumes from whatever cars, and get woken up in the middle of the night, and we were up at the crack of dawn, you know, scrubbing toilets and dumping trash, and we worked until late at niqht and it was, you know, basically a prisoner program.


Anne Rosenblum


[Dennis Erlich: I knew Annie. I went into the RPF'S RPF shortly after she left Florida. She was a very warm and friendly young lady. The following is excerpted word-for-word from her declaration regarding her experiences in scientology. I can tell you that her account of the inhuman treatment occurring in the RPF is accurate, albeit minimized. It is still the best description of the RPF I have seen.

Please excuse her sometimes wandering tenses and persons. I sure she felt she was still recovering when she wrote this. - DE]


The RPF was created by LRH in 1974 for people who were in ethics trouble and not getting handled, as well as for R/S-er's [the criminally insane]. The RPF rules and regulations are all covered in the "Flag Order 3434" series. The basic issue which gives the outline of the RPF is Flag Order 3434. There are numerous other issues as more rules and regulations were made. These issues are all in a series (i. e. F.O. 3434-1; F.O. 3434-2, etc.). I believe they were up to around F.O. 3434-30 by the time I left.

The idea of the RPF is to "rehabilitate" people who are outethics [not behaving], SP's [Suppressive Persons] and/or psychotic. The RPF is a totally "self-sustaining" unit. In other words, it handles all of its own tech, ethics, etc. The senior person is called the RPF Bosun. Directly under him is the RPF MAA. Under him are the section leaders, and then the section members. There are 5-8 people in each section, and each one is numbered "Section A", "Section B", etc. Each section is assigned different "cleaning stations" and projects to do. The only exception to that is the "Tech Section," which doesn't work on projects because they have to handle the coauditing in the RPF.

The RPF operates on "two watches." While one watch is on study, the other watch is on work. When I was first sent to the RPF, the Clearwater Bank building (Scientology owned) had just burned down, and my section was assigned to "salvage the SO-1 files" (SO-1 files are all the letters people write to LRH). [SO-1 stood for Standing Order #1 wherein Hubbard ordered all letters addressed to him would be answered by him. They were not, in reality. They were answered by the SO-1 Unit who were all given training in duplicating Hubbard's signature exactly.]

I was up at about 5:45 A. M. and we mustered in the Fort Harrison garage. We took roll call, and then went to do "Cleaning stations" (cleaning the bathrooms and hallways of the F. H.). Then we had breakfast, then roll call again, then went to study for 5 hours. After that we went to work on handling the SO-1 files. We did that until about 10:30 or 11:00 P. M. Then we had another muster and then went to bed. Then there was a bed-check of everyone.

The rules of the RPF are:

  1. No walking. You had to run all the time.
  2. You were not allowed to speak to anyone outside the RPF.
  3. You were not allowed to originate any communication, written or otherwise, to anyone outside the RPF, unless there was an emergency situation, or unless you cleared it with your RPF's seniors first.
  4. You were not allowed to go anywhere by yourself, unless authorized to do so.

Even when going to the bathroom, someone had to go with you. You would also get in trouble if you saw anyone start to go off by themselves and didn't go with them, then report it.

5. You had to call all RPF seniors "Sir." If there was some reason you had to talk to someone outside the RPF (and got permission for it), you had to call them "Sir" when speaking with them.

6. All letters you wrote had to be put in a stamped, unsealed envelope, then dropped in a box in RPF room. The RPF MAA then read all out-going mail. You are not allowed to send anything directly out of the RPF, including and especially, personal letters.

7. You are allowed only in "RPF designated areas," which, for me, was the Fort Harrison garage (it is a spiral 4 story garage), and the RPF course room, right off the second floor garage. You were not allowed to go anywhere else, the only exception being during morning cleaning stations when you cleaned the rest of the Fort Harrison.

8. Had to wear dark blue boiler-suits or dark blue shirts and pants.

9. Were not allowed "luxuries" (their word for it) such as music, seeing T. V., (at one point half dozen people were sent to the RPF's RPF for having seen some T. V. in a room they were in when they were sick) playing cards, perfume, etc.--anything like that.

10. There is an F.O. 3434 series called "Rocks and Shoals." There are penalties one gets for anything they do wrong such as non compliance to an order, not calling a senior "Sir," walking instead of running, missing a spot on a mirror you were cleaning, etc. The penalties consist of doing so many laps, sit-ups or push-ups. The laps are running up and down the garage ramp.

When I first arrived in the RPF, I went to the RPF MAA (Masterat-Arms, in charge of "ethics") and was given forms to sign. I don't remember what I signed. I don't remember reading them. I only vaguely recall one of them which was something about how I entered the RPF voluntarily to be able to get redemption, and that I'm being treated well, being taken care of, etc. I don't remember at all what else I signed. For one thing, I was still in a state of shock and confusion at being in the RPF. They were forms to go to the G. O. [Guardians Office] - I do remember that much.

{ }

We had routine visits from Fire and Health Officials in Clearwater. Somehow, the G. O. seemed to know in advance when they were coming, and were warned. When they arrived, we stacked mattresses, boxes and all sorts of junk in our sleeping space, to make it look like a storage area. The officials apparently never suspected that people were actually living there. If an official surprised us, the G. O. would take him around other F. H. areas while we received the message to make it look like a storage area. The staff lodging in the Fort Harrison was pretty bad also. Many staff and students had 68 beds in a small room. When officials came around, those rooms were locked or signs put on them "Confessionals in Progress" so no one would go in, and the G. O. would randomly show them other rooms with only 2 or 3 beds.

I find it very difficult to describe what happened to me mentally and emotionally in the RPF. I spent the first few weeks getting one security check after another. The first was a security check on anything I had done or told anyone while I was "blown" and any overts while I was at WHQ [Western Headquarters, La Quinta, CA?]. After that, I received a visit from the G. O. and was accused of taking money from the WHQ. I was security checked on that. Then I received a special security check written by the CMO on everything I had been involved with or knew as a Messenger.

This thing of "psychosis" is very much imposed on you in the RPF. When I didn't think I could handle the RPF, I talked to the RPF MAA about it and he had me read policies on R/Sers and psychosis and psychotics. Then he explained how the RPF is set up in a way to handle psychotics. Because psychotic people cannot follow orders, or complete cycles of action (in other words, finish anything they start). You are told that the RPF rules are there to keep everyone's psychosis under control long enough to audit and handle them.

Within the RPF, is the RPF's RPF. This is where people who haven't realized that they need the RPF, are sent. In Clearwater, they were sent down to the boiler room under guard, of course, and had to work there the entire day scrubbing pipes and walls in the boiler room. They are segregated from all other RPF members. They were given a pen and paper to write their overts and write lower ethics condition formulas while in the boiler room. They were allowed 15 minutes to shower before going to bed at night and allowed an average of 5 hours sleep. They ate after the RPF ate, and were only allowed enough time to eat. They did this until they realized how evil and suppressive they are and how much they need the RPF.

{ }

If I could sum the RPF up in just one sentence, it would probably be, "It is a process by which they make you believe that you are psychotic, and then you actually do become psychotic."



Janice Hayward



Janice D. Hayward ) Case no. CV96-10503

PLAINTIFF ) Title: Breach of contract

) Misrepresentation of the

Church of Scientology ) Dianetics program

2111 W. University

Mesa AZ 85201



On or about 21 Dec., 1992 I was assaulted by Wendy Keene, Ethics Officer. Mary Sugher, Secretary, tried to physically force me to stay at the Church of Scientology against my will. She called for Wendy Keen and Kathy Bennett, a Division 6 Supervisor, to

attack me. Kathy ran off, but Wendy slammed me repeatedly into the wall in the back of the church for over half an hour. Finally, John DiNero, a staff member, came in and made her stop.

I confronted Mary Sugher about the assault. She told me that L. Ron Hubbard's policy states that it is alright to physically assault people.

-page 3-

Since this assault, I have experienced disabling migraine headaches and continuous chiropractic care on my neck. I was harmed so much that my condition has caused me to miss work, and it has affected my ability to work steadily on my job. My condition has forced me to miss work. This situation has ended ultimately with the loss of my job.

On or about 19 July, 1991 Jon Luc, the Academy Supervisor, showed me a silver, semi-automatic pistol, of unknown caliber, that was kept by the church to use on people. He told me that "people had been taken to the dessert [sic] and shot because they posed a threat to the church."

My experience with them has made me fearful for my life.


Gitte Mogensen

Next morning, Karsten was called into the org and told to go back to Birkeroed, so Valerie could get some sleep. First he was to wake Gitte up to have breakfast. He went into her room with a tray and called "Gitte, here's your breakfast". There was no response. He called her several times, but there was still no response. He went to Valerie and asked her to wake Gitte up. Valerie yelled, but Gitte didn't move. Valerie told Karsten to check if there were any reactions at all, while she called the org. Karsten found that her heart was beating and that she was still breathing, but when he shook her there was no reactions. He told Valerie that Gitte was alive, but he still could not wake her up. Not even when he poured water on her did she respond. Valerie said she had been told by her senior to put food in Gitte's mouth, make sure she chewed and swallowed it, and then leave her and they would send an auditor over to handle her. Karsten held Gitte's head, while Valerie pushed food into her.

The next day, Karsten went back to Birkeroed. The org called and said there was a problem - Gitte's parents now knew that she was back in Denmark and wanted to see her. Karsten said they could not see her in this condition, they had to invent something to say to the parents. The org told them that Gitte was on a top secret program preparing for the Dianetics Day event, and could not talk to them for a few days. The parents were calmed for a moment, but they must have sensed that something was wrong, and kept calling for her. The org called to Birkeroed again, and eventually Gitte's sister was allowed to call her. Karsten asked Gitte if she wanted to speak to her sister, but she didn't. Karsten spoke to the sister and said things would soon be fine again, and after a while Gitte did come to talk to her sister. They were both crying. Gitte didn't say much to her sister, Karsten and Valerie were standing beside her. Her sister wanted to see her, but they said it was impossible. Karsten called the org to ask what to do. He was told to go home. That was the last time he saw Gitte. [excerpts from post to alt.religion.scientology ]


Margery Wakefield

In 1980 I was kept prisoner in the Fort Harrison in Clearwater, Florida. I was kept under guard night and day for about three weeks. Even when I slept there were guards stationed outside my room so that I could not escape. One day I was taken to the airport and told to pick any place out of the state of Florida and to go there and not come back. A guard was sent with me on the plane to make sure I went to Wisconsin and didn't come back. [excerpt from affidavit of April 13, 1990]


Mark Lewandowski

CLEARWATER - The Church of Scientology has settled its lawsuit with a Michigan man who said church representatives pressured him into paying more than $13,000 for services, church attorney Paul B.Johnson said Tuesday.

Mark Lweandowski said in the lawsuit that church representatives interrogated him for more than four hours in December 1989 and wouldn't let him leave until he agreed to pay $2,000 for a lifetime church membership. [Tampa Tribune, May 1, 1991 "Church settles lawsuit:Settlement terms not disclosed" by Pat Dunnigan]


Terry Findley

I was a paid staff member, not a volunteer worker, at Bridge Publications, Inc in 1981. I was held in solitary
confinement by people associated with scientology for quite some time that year. This was not fun. [excerpt of statement by Terry Findley, September, 2001]


Maria Pia Gardini

17. At this point, somebody called the Captain out of the room, leaving just Dave Foster and me in the room. Mr. Foster started yelling at me, becoming as red as a lobster and getting so upset I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He wanted me to give the money. He told me I was not a good Scientologist; that my money was Wog money and needed to go to scientology; and that I was unethical. I kept refusing to give any more money. Finally, Dave Foster slapped me in the face. I began to cry.

18. The Captain FSO then returned to the room. I told her Dave Foster had slapped me. Dave Foster denied it. Captain FSO then immediately began asking me again for more money. They kept badgering me, insinuating that if I wanted to go home to Italy, I had better give the money. Soon, I was an emotional mess. I wanted out of that room and to go home to Italy. It was apparent to me that neither would happen if I did not agree: so, I finally agreed to give them whatever money they wanted. At that point they again called Franco Baggio and I told him to give the money. Franco then wrote a check and gave it to Tito Mazza, who took the check to Luxembourg and put it into a Flag account there. Only after this did they let me out of the room. I then returned to work.

19. I now wanted to leave for Italy, but OSA was holding my passport and though I had asked for its return every night for twenty days, they would not give it to me. I finally went to the Captain FSO at the end of October. I begged to be able to return to Italy so I could get the money to pay everybody back. Also during this time I was sick with worry because they had told me they wanted one million dollars and they hadn't yet gotten that out of me. So every Thursday I was terrified that I would again be called in and forced to give more money.

20. The Captain finally ok'd the return of my passport. Soon after getting it, I was again called into a meeting in the Captain's Office in the Coachman building. The Captain told me to write a CSW to go to Italy and get it signed by all of my seniors and bring it back to Snr. Staff HCO and then to her. This was the end of October. At this time she asked me if I had any more money in the bank. I admitted that I did (lying to the Captain is an overt). She told me the stats were down and I needed to again contribute money. I was so anxious to get my CSW signed so I could leave, I again wrote a check for Flag. This was for $25,000 written on my account at 1st National Bank (Amsouth) in Clearwater.

21. After this, I tried and tried to get everyone to approve my CSW to go home to Italy. Towards the end of November, I received all necessary approvals. I finally left for Italy in early December.

22. When I arrived in Italy, my attorney told me that before the 12th of December I had to pay the inheritance taxes. I paid the taxes and then found that nothing was left in the bank. I decided I had to sell some property, as I was now virtually penniless.


Reed Slatkin

30. I never had any agreement with Mr. Hitchman that I was holding Earthlink stock for him. I did sign page 2803-2015928 of Exhibit 3. I did this under duress when I was locked in a room in Mr. Hitchman's house on March 31, 2001. Mr. Hitchman, along with Jack Dirmann, another high-ranking member of the Church, physically restrained me and demanded that I sign the page. They threatened that they would not let me leave until I had signed that piece of paper. Mr. Hitchman told Mr. Dirmann in my presence that I had been engaged in a fraud, and both Mr. Hitchman and Mr. Dirmann were demanding that I give them


Gloria N.

Gloria got violently upset at the indications and bizarre handling from the MAA. She went psychotic, and was held against her will in a room at the Fort Harrisson. She escaped and went to a hotel on the beach... [http://www.whyaretheydead.info/krasel/aff_96.html]


Greg Barnes

Per your organizations agreement with the IRS you are in flagrant violation of D. Certifications section C. " that no Scientology-related entity or Scientology-related individual (in his or her capacity as such) has, after 1986, knowingly committed any act of fraud or criminal conduct that might constitute a violation of public policy endangering the tax-exempt status of any Scientology-related entity." The slandering of our reputes when you knew full well of their falsehoods, interfering with contractual relations, myself being held against my will and your reverse auditing to name a few will fit quite nicely in the above paragraph as violations.


Gerry Armstrong

5. In Culver City, because I got into an argument with Mary Sue Hubbard's Communicator (secretary), Hubbard deemed me a "security risk" and had me removed from the property by the US head of GO intelligence, Dick Wiegand Hubbard had me locked up and guarded for three (3) weeks in the Scientology intelligence office in Los Angeles.

Gerrry 2

A. First of all, there is a note here saying: "No. 4. I note the organization has B1 one files for this" -- should be "the rest of my family members." That's not really an item which is omitted from my file. However, the rest of them, there are various references in here from which I can determine that these reports were consulted or that they should have been there. The first one is a major event. I was locked up in B1 by the Deputy Guardian for Intelligence, in June of 1976, in the Fiefield Manor. And there would be a mass of reports from that period, all of which would have gone into my Bl file. It's ludicrous to say they were when it was such a major event for B1 itself.

Bill Franks

15. In November 1981, I came into increasing conflict with David Miscavige, the man who relayed Hubbard's orders to me and everyone else in Scientology. The reason for this conflict was because I attempted to block many of the criminal and illegal operations implemented by Miscavige and the Guardian's Office on behalf of Hubbard. In December 1981, I was removed from my position, and then held against my will and locked up in Gilman Hotsprings, California for a period of weeks.


Arnie Lerma

Subject: Re: 25 claims Co$ held them against their will
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:10:34 GMT
From: alerma@nospam.bellatlantic.net (arnie lerma - www.lermanet.com)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology

I have two instances.

I believe it was in winter of 1975, I was "FSC WUS" working with a
guy named Hy Levy, at the Hollywood Inn.

The staff were all being called in for interviews by the GO, some kind
of check all staff paranoia routine, which was was pretty routine...
My turn for my 'interview' arrived. And we found ourselves outside of
a basement closet in the Hollywood Inn, and nobody seemed to have the
key.... So.... I picked the lock...

Now, this wasnt some very difficult thing to do, as it was a badly
worn, and very old, 5 pin tumbler lock...

Anyway, the GO dude went nuts paranoid wise, and decided that I was
some kind of trained operative and I was locked up in the wire caged
recieving room...for the day.

I found that if I yelled, because it was a wire room, with no walls to
stop sound, the entire staff could hear me in the basement... wich in
my opinion helped effect my release, later that afternoon.


2nd time I was held by force by Scientology...

"Suzette was getting daily auditing. One of the questions at the
beginning of every one of these sessions is the "secret getting"

"Has anyone almost found out something about you"

Well... Suzette gave it up. She spilled the beans during her .
confidential. auditing session.

I found myself with 5 sea org members holding me in the room I had
been staying in. A short time later I was brought to a room with a
chair and a light bulb, nothing else, it was like a Nazi interrogation
scene. Two fellows came into the room and the door was locked. I was
then questioned for a considerable length of time. I do not recall the
details of what was discussed. I was under considerable emotional
duress at this time. I do recall the conclusion, the offer if you
will. It was an offer of "safe passage out of the state of Florida
with all body parts still attached" if I told Suzette that the wedding
was off.

It was during the realization of just how far this organization would
go that I made the decision to get the hell out at first safe
opportunity. So I played along, I told Suzette it was not going to
happen and watched as she cried. I could do nothing considering the


Roger Gonnet

Subject: Re: 25 claims Co$ held them against their will
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:55:31 +0200
From: "roger gonnet" <gonnet@antisectes.net>
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology

Though I was'nt in RPF, yyou can add my name and my ex-wife's one too:
indeed, we've been retained in Paris org against our will, and she was
retained twice, me once, against my will in AOSH DK and FOLO EU (DK)



Q BY MR. FLYNN: During the period of time --

after the security check were you locked up?

A Yes. I was locked up under guard for the next

two days.

Q Who was the guard?

A It was actually an auditor. His name slips my

mind right now. I probably have it in my briefcase that I

wrote it down. But I am not sure.

But he really didn't have any knowledge of why

he was guarding me. But he was --

Q At some point in time did you manage to leave?

A Yes. On Sunday morning, he -- while I was in

the shower he said he was going down to change clothes because

he thought he was guarding me for some spiritual reason,

so I could get some good rest to further my spiritual release

CT 4507

through auditing.

Q Did he tell you that?

A Yes, he did.

Q All right.

A And the minute he told me that and I heard the

door slam, I got out of the shower; got dressed and got the

hell out of there.


Caspar De Rijk

De Rijk himself says he started to doubt several years ago, after he was held hostage by Scientology strongmen in Copenhagen, Denmark (where Scientology has a large department). "I was with the Sea Org, an elite department set up like the military. If you disagree with anything, utter criticism or are angry, you are questioned and put on the E-meter, with which they test whether your intention are good or bad. I did not have bad intention, so I refused."

According to Scientology's 'ethics' that is a major crime: followers are expected not to think for themselves or to have their own opinion. Therefore De Rijk was handed over to RPF, the Rehabilitation Project Force, an internal Scientology re-education camp.

"I refused that as well," says De Rijk. "This caused some panic, because apparently that had never before happened. So they kept me in a room for an afternoon with a pair of bodyguards. Of course they considered me to be dangerous because I was a high-level OT. I was then thrown out of the organization and started to think: what am I looking for? What do others seek here - sometimes paying a thousand dollars an hour."


forfeiture) of my swiss passport
for me the only one solution was to say at the "hôtel" Fort Harrison

the night was long and when every body were sleeping I go behind the
cookery and climp over (above ...) the service gate.


But these verbal threats and psychological pressure tactics
were only the beginning of Wollersheim's ordeal. While on the
ship, Wollersheim was forced to undergo a strenuous regime which
began around 6 a.m. and continued until 1 a.m. the next morning.
The regime included mornings of menial and repetitive cleaning
of the ship followed by an afternoon of study or coauditing. The
evenings were spent working and attending meetings or
conferences. Wollersheim and others were forced to sleep in the
ship's hole. A total of 30 people were stacked 9 high in this
hole without proper ventilation. During his six weeks under
these conditions, Wollersheim lost fifteen pounds.

Ultimately, Wollersheim felt he could bear the regime no
longer. He attempted to escape from the ship because as he
testified later: "I was dying and losing my mind." But his escape
effort was discovered. Several Scientology members seized
Wollersheim and held him captive. They released him only when
he agreed to remain and continue with the auditing and other
"religious practices" taking place on the vessel.

One of the psychiatric witnesses testified that in her
opinion Wollersheim's experience on the ship was one of five
cataclysmic events underlying her diagnosis of his mental illness
and its cause. As the psychiatrist reported, following this
incident, Wollersheim felt the Church "broke him." In any event,
this episode demonstrated the Church was willing to physically
coerce Wollersheim into continuing with his auditing. Moreover
they were willing to do so even when it was apparent this
practice was causing him serious mental distress and he preferred
to cease or at least suspend this particular religious practice.
Not only was the particular series of auditing sessions on the
ship conducted under threat of physical compulsion, but the
demonstrated willingness to use physical coercion infected later
auditing sessions. The fact the Church was willing to use
physical coercion on this occasion to compel Wollersheim's
continued participation in auditing added yet another element to
the coercive environment under which he took part in the auditing

[LARRY WOLLERSHEIM, Plaintiff and Respondent, v. CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OF CALIFORNIA, Defendant and Appellant No. B023193 Court of Appeals of California, Second Appellate District, Division Seven 212 Cal.App.3d 872, 260 Cal.Rptr. 331 July 18, 1989]

Xenu.net has more information on such cases


On May 1, at approximately 6 p.m., Brian Andrus, Peeter Alvet, Information Bureau official Chuck Reese and two bodyguards visited Mr. Meisner and told him that he was to be moved to another apartment. Mr. Meisner refused to leave, threatening to cause a commotion if forced to do so. The two guards handcuffed him behind his back, gagged him and dragged him out of the building. Outside, they forced him onto the back floor of a waiting car. In the car one of the guards held Mr. Meisner down with his feet. Mr. Meisner was taken to an apartment which he later learned was located at 3219 Descanso Drive, in Los Angeles, California. After Messrs. Andrus and Alvet left, three guards remained in the apartment with Mr. Meisner. [ This incident is detailed by the defendant Weigand in a 2 May 1977 letter, to Mr. Budlong (Government Exhibits Nos. 161 and 162.) The routing on that letter indicates that copies of it were sent to the defendants Mary Sue Hubbard and Henning Heldt, and to GWW Jane Kember.]

On Monday, May 2, the defendant Heldt approved the defendant Raymond's funds requests for Mr. Meisner's guards. (See Government Exhibit No. 163.)


In a sworn statement in federal court, the defector, Sylvana Garritano, 25, said she spent nine months, from March to Christmas last year,
working under Hubbard at Gilman, a former resort. She claimed that some 200 Scientologists at Gilman labor throughout the night under
Hubbard's direction, sending telegraph messages to their churches and missions throughout the world.

In an interview last week, Garritano added that many Scientologists at Gilman are armed and some members of the cult have been kept
prisoner on the premises locked in a shack.

["Scientology at Gilman: Hubbard said at ex-resort" by Terry Colvin, Press Enterprise Staff Writer Riverside Press-Enterprise April 13, 1980 (Page B-1) ]


I was on the IR myself. I did not like it, it felt not remotely like a program of L.Ron Hubbard. It is psychiatric to hold people in a small
room. People need to exercise in order to not lose strenght and health. In the 70s, I talked to a Scientologist who wanted to open a Type III
farm. Not a Type III room but a farm with lots of trees and nature where those unbalanced can run around till they find back to reality. I
am sure that Ron said that people should be removed from a hectic environment which enturbulates them and makes them unbalanced. But that
is not a little introverting room without exercises. This is of course off policy and psychiatric.

[alt.religion.scientology post 12/11/05 "I am Thinking about Lisa McPherson"]

William B. Wilson

William B. Wilson was trying to leave the Ft. Harrison Hotel in Clearwater when Scientologists allegedly blocked the cab and refused to let him leave. "As far as I'm concerned it was a five-minute detention and I didn't agree with them" said Wilson. But cabdriver Garry Vinyard sued for $10 million and settled out of court. [source: Clearwater Sun "Sect holds conference to debunk kidnap story" by Jeff Mangum, 1/27/84]

Robert Dam

The next day they decided that I could not leave the org. I had a business meeting in town and had to leave. Two Security staff blocked
my way out of the room. I told them that it was illegal and that they were actually guests workers in my country, and as such had to adhere
to the Danish laws not to speak of human rights. But that didn't seem to bother them. (Speaking of human rights: This is something the Church
makes a big deal out of when anybody opposes the Church. But it is a complete joke. Ask anybody who has been on the RPF and you are likely
to find that the term is completely non-existent within the Church).
While I was being kept in the org, two Sea Org members arrived to my house to speak to my wife. They tried to Black PR me, insinuating that
I had confessed being with other women when travelling in Singapore and that I had committed crimes against the Church etc. Outright lies. I
was still being kept in the org and was told that I would go in session for more sec-check as soon as the Auditor was ready.

Before the session started, I told the Auditor that I had enough. I would not continue to allow this wild dramatization, being physically
detained against my will, my wife being subject to Black Propaganda etc. I also mentioned that my wife's uncle was Deputy Chief of Police
Copenhagen and that I would not hesitate to call him from my cell phone should they try to detain me once again. After sec-check I was told to
stay in the waiting area because I had to see somebody. Less than half an hour later, Michael from the Office of Special Affairs EU, sat in
front of me. He tried his best to calm things down and said that of course I could always leave the org when I wanted and that it was just
a misunderstanding. I should just cooperate a little then everything would be fine.

Frank Notaro

Frank Notaro Picket report, from The Free Spirit, January 1986 issue,
page 30 (the indicated photos are poor quality)

Saturday, 5 Oct. 95: I went down to AOLA to ask for a refund of $2,000
for a level which has been hanging fire for almost 10 years with much
associated pain. My request was in writing. A security guard told me to
get out or I would be arrested. I said OK, but then I will have to

Sunday, 6 Oct.: at 1 P.M. I picketed by myself in front of ASHO, LA
Org, and AOLA with three signs which had "confidential" OT 3 materials
on them. A CofS security guard came from the front and grabbed my
signs, while three or four others jumped me from behind and threw me to
the pavement in the middle of the street, where they pinned me down and
handcuffed me from behind. They then took me inside the building across
from AOLA. On the way, I managed to shout to a friend to call the
police, as I was afraid. I was held captive for an hour or so until
the police came and released me. The Police Officers told the church
officials that I had every right to picket and escorted me to safety
out of the area.

Thursday 17 Oct 85: Here's my motorcycle [indicating photo on next
page] as I get ready to pickete in front of downtown LA Courthouse.
Later, I was chased from the CofS "Religious Crusade Rally" by the
courthouse by about ten CofS "security" guards. A mob of about forty
fanatical cult members joined the chase, grabbing my signs and forcing
me into the street while a Channel 11 camerawoman (see middle lower
picture) was filming away. Jeff Pomerantz (lower right corner), and
others of the mob, demonstrated how "Scientology works" by trying to
cover up the camera woman's lense, which resulted in her being struck
by a passing car in the street. The police stopped all traffic to
handle the situation and helped me escape from the mob unharmed (see
lower left picture).

Sunday 17 Nov. 85: After seeing a defamatory poster with my name on it
by the cash register at a nearby store, I walked up Barendo St. to see
if there were any more posted. I was approached by two CofS security
guards, who said I shouldn't be there. I continued walking and told
them to just leave me alone. Two security guards grabbed an arm each
and a third, used painfully crippling, high voltage stun gun on me
several times, until I collapsed on the pavement (this caused a severe
and painful recurrence of an old back injury). They then handcuffed me,
dragged me across the street into a building and threw me on the floor
of a basement, where one of the security guards held me down with his
foot for about an hour until the police arrived. What I did not know
was that the CofS had gotten a valid restraining order on me to prevent
me from coming within 50 yeards of the complex. In the past, I had been
"served" several restraining orders which did not apply to me, but not
this one. When the police arrived they arrested me, took me downtown,
and booked me. I was released on bail. Stay tuned for court results

The Ohrendorfs

The Ohrendorf's (husband and wife) are the owners of the old Hamburg org. They didn't get paid the rent. Naively, they flew to Clearwater to sort things out and get their $$. They were locked up in a room with a guard outside. Scientology came with a paper to sign that the rent would be cut by half. They didn't sign. Finally they let the wife go. They still coerced the husband to sign the paper. He said he could sign anything, it wouldn't matter because the wife owns the building and not him. They let the husband go - also because in the meantime, their son was regularly calling at "Flag" to know what happened to his parents. When back home the two quit scientology and filed a lawsuit (which was later settled for a confidential amount).


UN Declaration of Human Rights

Kristi Wachter's comparison of Scientology and UN Declaration

Mike Gormez's site

return to main page