|AFFIDAVIT OF DANAR HOVERSON
STATE OF FLORIDA )
) ss COUNTY OF PINELLAS )
I, Danar Hoverson, being first duly sworn, do hereby depose and state:
1. I am over the age of 18. I make the following statements of my own
personal knowledge, and if called to testify as to these matters, I
could and would do so competently
3. Through my job I meet and know thousands of Scientologists from all over the world who come to Clearwater for advanced spiritual services at the Church. Because of my prominent position, I also meet and observe many other visitors to the Fort Harrison who are not Scientologists, as well as many of our neighbors and Clearwater citizens who pass by. My work has become increasingly difficult and at times extremely unpleasant and unnecessarily dangerous because of the criminal charges brought against the Church over the death of Lisa McPherson.
4. A frequent act of harassment has been cups full of soft drink or other liquids thrown at me or other staff from passing vehicles, while the drivers or passengers yelled that we murdered Lisa McPherson, that we are "killers," or other similar statements. One person threw a large, full Pepsi bottle. Another time, someone threw a full milk shake through the window of one of our vans, splattering liquid all over the interior of the van. Many other miscellaneous objects have been thrown at me from passing vehicles.
5. Hostile accusations also are regularly made by people walking past the Fort Harrison. I have been told to "stop killing people," and "You're going to jail ... for killing that girl."
6. I have noticed a pattern to the attacks against me and other Church staff. Things can stay relatively quiet for a while, that is, only one or two threats or acts of harassment a day, and then explode for a period immediately following the publication of allegations regarding Lisa McPherson' s death. Each time a negative article or editorial has appeared in the newspapers, supporting the idea that the Church should be held criminally responsible or harmed Ms. McPherson, the articles have been followed by a flood of assaults and harassment. In such times, there have been often 15 to 20 people per day who yell abuse and accusations as they drive or walk past the F ort Harrison. Many also throw objects, some of which have been heavy enough to seriously injure me or someone else, had the assailants hit their target. The statements these people yell have
included "Murderer," "Killers!", "You killed that girl," "You shouldn't have killed that girl," "You murdered Lisa McPherson."
The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me to be true and correct to the best of his ability this 14th day of March, 2000, by Danar Hoverson. He is personally known to me and did take an oath.
Glen E. Stilo, Notary Public