| I, Edmond Hattaway, declare as follows:
1. I am over the age of l8 years.
2. The statements herein are of my own personal knowledge and
if called up as a
witness, I can testify competently thereto.
3. It has taken me 7 years to sort through the chain of
incredible lies and
deceit that duped me out of a fortune and nearly ruined the
lives of my family
and me. I have decided to come out and state for the record the
truth about our
financial ruin, all mind you, at the hands of Scientology.
4. I was introduced to LRH technology through the single most
dissemination line for the cult: WISE. This group, which touts
itself as a
business consulting organization, focuses its resources
primarily on doctors.
Particularly chiropractors and dentists
5. As a 3rd year chiropractic student, I was introduced to WISE
by way of a
chiropractic "opinion leader" who taught seminars to students
on a particular
treatment technique. This guy was held in such high esteem that
anything he said was taken to heart by the students. He
personally told me that
I should read dianetics.
6. I did and then began to seek out other successful
chiropractors who were
using "the tech". I found several in my local area who were
Clearwater-based WlSE organization known as David Singer
7. It should be stated that this group and Sterling Management
primarily to dentists) were at that time, and most probably
still are today,
the largest FSM (Field Staff Member) organizations in all of
organizations disseminate Scientology to their public and
receive a 10%
commission for the services that their recruits pay for.
8. The trap I fell into personally, professionally and
financially was not set
by some wide-eyed cult follower with a message about zenu the
warlord. I stepped into the mess by following doctors who I saw
and as leaders in the field of chiropractic, dentistry and
10. I was introduced to a local mission. Then to a larger org.
indoctrinated into the concept that if I went "clear" I would
successful, etc. I ventured on this journey. Borrowing money
from my college
funds and bank to pursue that self-improvement ideal that would
11. Looking back, I guess I was prime for this. After all, what
is college but
an investment in personal improvement that will hopefully lead
success in life? So, I fell for the idea that, since I had no
training, I should listen to what these other successful people
had to say. I
went into hock, in the coming three years as I was beginning my
career, to go
up the Bridge.
12. At the time, I was an associate doctor with another
scientologist-chiropractor. He and I became the best of friends
reinforced my commitment to go up the bridge.
13. By my third year in practice, I was already $20,000 in
with nothing to really show for it. I then purchased my own
practice and began
working out of the financial hole I had been digging for three
years. I was
nearly out of debt when I started getting reged for the OT
14. It was explained to me that if I really wanted to become
free and able, I
would have to address this OT case. I was also introduced to
the "L" rundowns.
These were touted as super powerful OT boosters that would
bring out super OT
abilities and expand one's "havingness" (a term which
translated into more of
everything in life-money, relationship, productive capacity,
15. I started sending a "flow" to FSO of $500 to $1000 per week
toward my OT
levels. I then began to put plans into the works to leave my
office and stay at
FSO for between 4 and 6 weeks to get onto my OT levels. I took
out a second
mortgage. I did a lease buy-back on my office equipment. I
maxed out all 4 of
my credit cards. I borrowed money on some of my father's
property. This was all
encouraged as "just a drop in the bucket", after all my
abilities were going to create such abundance in my
productivity, financial success, etc.
16. I put over $50,000 into Flag's coffers for these services
in 1994 alone.
Totaling nearly $70,000 since 1989.
17. I started my OT preps and Solo course at FSO. My
began to fall apart. I opted at that point to leave and handle
my business. It was
then suggested by the reg that I should get my "L's" instead.
18. I did L-11, the new life rundown and L-12 the OT executive
at FSO I felt great! My business was in utter ruin at home. I
left FSO with the
idea that with all my OT ability now unleashed; I would just
turn that office
around and soar to highest-ever levels of productivity, income
and happiness in
19. The exact opposite occurred. The practice continued to
crash. I went back
to Flag for 4 different reviews in the following 4 months.
Things kept getting
worse. My wife and I decided to just stay away for awhile and
see how things
went. We couldn't afford to "fix" me anymore. We had to hang in
there and make
20. The only problem was MY NEW LIFE. I was stressed out, burned
out and under EXTREME financial duress from the creditors who
had loaned me money to buy my super OT abilities! I fell 6 months
behind on my mortgage(s), my office rent, my equipment lease and my van.
Over the next two years I accumulated over $30,000 in back taxes. We
were drowning in debt. Even with all my super-duper OT ability (NOT!)
I was incapable of producing at my previous level!
21. In 1997, within a one-week time span, we gave up our home
and our office and all of our equipment and moved into a Suburban Lodge
with my wife and three small children Now isn't THAT OT!
22. We couldn't even afford to stay at the inn so we talked my
parents intotaking us in. We told them that we bad made some bad investments
(if they only knew!) Here I was, in my mid thirties, a (formerly) successful
chiropractor with a wife and three children, living with his parents. Boy,
these OT abilities are something, wouldn't you say?
23. My parents said we could build out an apartment in their
basement and live
there until we got back on our feet. It is now 2001 (4 years
later). We are
still in the basement. Our OT abilities are really bursting at
24. I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the
United States of
America and the state of Georgia the foregoing is true and
Executed in Douglas, Georgia this 26th of February 2001.
Edmond E. Hattaway
Click here to watch the Ed and Tera Hattaway video